Molly

Monday, November 26, 2012

American Thanksgiving 2012

Thursday morning came and I was grateful I had spent Wednesday night busily cleaning my house, and making pie crusts, doing all the last minute things my body would possibly let me finish before going to bed and my family would show up.  We woke up around 7:30, and I started right into pie/ jello salad making.  I was feeling a bit overwhelmed, and my little kitchen helper wasn't helping that feeling.  I kept pushing through, knowing it wouldn't be long before my family walked through the front door.

I was so overjoyed when they walked in.  Jonathan, Sabrina, and my mom made the trek, through the night, and were all so tired, but happy to be at the final destination.  My mom jumped right in and helped me by doing dishes along side me as I finished the pumpkin pie to put in the oven, and prepped the turkey for the oven.  She watched the pie while Sabrina and I ran to the store in her new car to get some buns and last minute items.  Jonathan and Samuel were napping, it was nice to be able to run out the door and not worry about my baby, or the pie in the oven. 

When we got home, it was time for the turkey to go in the oven, and then play time.  Samuel had woke up, and Sabrina played with him upstairs.  My mom had some presents for Samuel and had Sam and Sabrina come downstairs to give them to Sam.  Unfortunately, these are the only pictures I have of Thanksgiving, such a SAD thing.  I suppose that's what happens when you spend days prepping for a big meal.  Here's the sequence.

 
This is the first time Samuel has decided to play with one of my purses, and wanted it over his new hockey stick... Shane was a bit upset when he learned this. 
 
The afternoon continued on, and Sabrina passed out on the couch, and Sam went down for another nap.  It was wonderful to have my mom to fill in the gaps as I prepared Thanksgiving.  She made the gravy as I got dressed, she continued doing the dishes, and little things I can't think of off the top of my head, but her help made everything come together.  Shane showed up with whipping cream, and we were ready to eat.
 
We sat around our feast, held hands (as some awkward looks were exchanged), and gave Thanks for all we had.  I was impressed with myself, it was the best tasting Thanksgiving Dinner I've had that I can remember.  Our meal was complete with turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, corn, buns, pretzel jello salad, a veggie tray, and the choice of banan cream pie, pumpkin pie, or apple crisp.  The beverages included water, grape juice, Martinellis, and Mountain Dew (unleaded). 
 
Dinner was over, my family all passed out yet again for a while as Shane and I finished cleaning things up.  When everyone was awake, Shane's parents stopped in for some pie and a visit.  A few rounds of Yatzee later, it was time for bed.  I am very grateful for so much, but particularly this Thanksgiving, to share it with some of my family.

1 comment:

Amber said...

I'm so impressed that you hosted Thanksgiving. You're amazing.